Near future with the web:
Things made JS:
- Bot controls
- JS implementation of git
- PDF JS. This is actually what firefox uses to render pdfs.
- Flash in JS!! (in progress)
Things in the language:
- asm.js. c++ compiled in to subset of js. Only 1.5/2 times slower than the c++.
- JS as the assembly language of the web.
- Traceur to transpile ecma6 (or .next) to ecma5
- All the new features planned in ecma6.
Acceptance testing – Vikki Read
- “Not tdd is debug later development” - quote from agile2014 (can’t remember who she got it from)
- Tests can make good internal documentation. They don’t rot unlike wikis.
- Write the tests that give you the confidence for the important parts of the system.
- Be selective about which and how many tests you run.
- Slow acceptance tests not necessarily bad. Finding a bug after 12 hours is better than a bug report from a customer in 3 weeks.
- Shoulda put a test on it
Server-less applications powered by Web Components – Sébastien Cevey
TLDR: Web components and poylmer kick ass. The guardian are open sourcing some nice elements. Especially some for doing metrics/reporting:
Clientside for the win.
A sciency interlude. Who doesn’t love thermite, jelly babies with perchlorate and exploding hydrogen.
Fun With the command Line – Paul King
Fun talk about the command line. Cool demos (including some scrillex sampling). Bit disappointed it wasn’t a talk on js on the command line.
A tale in production node.js – Nuno Job
Who gives a talk in vi? Crazy. Some nice ascii art.
TODO: actual content of this talk.